ICFMH BEST POSTER AWARD
The International Committee on Food Microbiology and Hygiene (ICFMH) of the Union of Microbiological Societies (IUMS) will sponsor a Developing Scientist Poster Paper Competition. The topic of the competing poster presentations should be food microbiology and hygiene.Purpose:
- To encourage developing scientists to present their original research.
- To foster professionalism in students and recent graduates through contact with peers who attend AFSA.
- This competition is open to undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate students, including those who have graduated not more than one year prior to the deadline for submitting abstracts.
- The entrant must be the first author of the poster and be present to answer questions for a specified time during the assigned session.
- The focus of the research presented must be in the area of food microbiology and hygiene.
- The work must represent original research completed and presented by the entrant.
- Students may enter only one poster in the competition.
- Acceptance of an abstract for presentation as a poster is independent of acceptance as a competition finalist.
- Abstracts not accepted by the conference for poster presentations will be disqualified from the competition.
- In addition to following the instructions in the “Call for Abstracts,” competition entrants must indicate if the paper is to be entered in this competition.
- Competition entrants selected as finalists will be notified of their status by the chairperson of the Developing Scientist Poster Award Committee.
- Entrants must be registered for AFSA.
- Judging Process:
- All abstracts submitted for presentation at AFSA and entered into the competition will be reviewed by the Developing Scientist Poster Award Committee. Only eligible abstracts entered in the competition will be evaluated. The finalists will be notified in advance of the Conference.
- Abstract – Clarity, comprehensiveness, and conciseness.
- Scientific Quality – Adequacy of experimental design (methodology, controls, replication), extent to which objectives were met, difficulty and thoroughness of research, validity of conclusions based upon data, technical merit, and contribution to science.
- Poster – Organization (clarity of introduction, objectives, methods, results, conclusions), quality of illustrations, ability to answer questions, and knowledge of subject.
- Announcement of Awards:
- The names of finalists and the first, second and third prize winners will be announced during the closing session of the conference. A cash prize of 250 Euros will be given to the First Prize winner, 150 Euros to the Second Prize winner, and 100 Euros to the Third Prize winner. All finalists should be present at the closing session.
AFSA2018 AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
In recognition of the outstanding and meritorious contribution to AFSA and to the field of Food Safety and Food Security, a plaque or certificate of award will be bestowed on selected personalities and institutions.